Monday, October 23, 2006

Movie/Music Monday…Seether and Lord of War

Music: Seether, Karma and Effect—I fell in love with Shaun Morgan’s voice when I heard his duet with Amy Lee, the lead singer for Evanescence. Then Remedy got a ton of airplay on my local radio station, so I bopped out to get the CD. What a great purchase. This album rocks from the first track and doesn’t let up until the very last. My favorite tracks were Burrito, World Falls Away and I’m the One. The last track, Plastic Man, was a bit too moody and ballady for me…when I want to rock, that’s what I want to hear, y’know? As a whole, this is one of those albums that listen to on a *really* regular basis (it’s loaded on my work computer), and it never fails to get my head bopping and my feet moving.

Movie: Lord of War – while not a pleasant movie by any stretch of the imagination, I really enjoyed this movie…hey, it’s got Nic Cage in it…how can it be bad?? Anyway, this is the story of an arms dealer from the eighties to present(ish) day, and what happens to him. Gritty and disturbing, this movie packs a punch for those of us who follow world events fairly closely. Even if you don’t, you’ll recognize a good many of the conflicts mentioned. Perhaps most distressing, though, is the fact that this story was based on an actual person…something you don’t find out until the very end. Cage was fabulous playing a man who has found his true niche in life dealing death. He’s good at it, enjoys the rush, and quickly gets disgustingly rich. Jared Leto was also excellent as his troubled brother…the only one of the duo with a real conscience. While I highly recommend this movie, be cautioned that it (obviously) contains very violent scenes, and depicts a not-so-pretty world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home