Monday, October 16, 2006

Movie/Music Monday…AFI and Aliens

Music: AFI, Decemberunderground—AFI has been described as the best Misfits cover band anywhere. Since this is the first time I’ve heard their music, I have a bit of a hard time believing that, since Decemberunderground introduces us to their alternative/pop rock sound, rather than the thrashing punk that the Misfits are so famous for. Still, my nephew Scott likes them, and he’s one of the biggest Misfits fans ever. Anyway, if you, as a listener, expect everything to sound like Miss Murder, the cut that’s hitting the airwaves now, you’re about 50% right. Miss Murder, Love Like Winter, and Endlessly, She Said are all catchy and bound to be on your local station soon. Personally, I *loved* the absolutely thrashing Affliction and Kill Caustic, but that’s just me *g*. This album did seem well rounded for me, if only because it takes on everything from the San Francisco punk sound to alternative rock to almost eighties sounding entries. I really enjoyed this album, and if you like alternative rock with a bit of edge, you will too!

Movie: Aliens—I saw this movie on opening day, waaaaay back in the 80s *g*. I’d seen the original movie (and it still gives me the heebie jeebies). Yet another movie with a believable kick-ass heroine (see last movie post re: The Long Kiss Goodnight), Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley manages to be both vulnerable and formidable at the same time. And Michael Biehn…YUM! (I actually based one of my characters on him, or at least how he looks *g*). The only thing that makes me cranky about the original release of this movie was that the directors cut out some seriously crucial things that made Ripley’s character whole. Those things (most importantly, finding out that her daughter had a complete life and died while she was in hyper-sleep, therefore giving her a more believable reason to bond with Newt) are available in the extended version, so if you haven’t seen this movie in a bit, and would like a re-look, check out the longer version…you won’t be disappointed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home