Thursday, October 19, 2006

What's going on with me Wednesday...on Thursday *g*!!

Sorry gang, I was a day late because Blogger wasn't playing nice and the AF won't let me access it from my desk anymore!!

I have news! I sold my book, The Saints of Midland, to Samhain Publishing! Actually, it won’t be released until next summer, but I’m still in happy dance mode. This is the book that I wrote forever and two days ago and tried to sell to New York, and *almost* succeeded. Sigh. Anyway, I’m popping the synopsis and a brief blurb below…enjoy!

AMANDA SIMS is a woman with a problem. Her brother has disappeared into the deep piney woods on Halloween night. When she enters the forest with enigmatic, sexy-as-hell deputy JOSH KENT, the last thing this self-professed witch expects is a spiritual presence the size of the Grand Canyon.


Deputy Josh holds his own secrets. He recognizes the entity in the forest, and offers to trade his immortal soul for that of Amanda’s brother. But the Keeper of the Way has other ideas.
When Amanda offers a part of herself in exchange for her brother’s safe passage, the Keeper thrusts her and Josh into another land. A land where scarlet-tipped grain waves across an endless landscape, where parrots speak the Queen’s English, where the dead walk and where she hears of the prophecy for the first time.

Legend speaks of a human witch and an Earth-walker who will free the lost souls of Midland. But from there the details are murky, doled out in bits and pieces as they travel the countryside, encountering spirits in every conceivable shape and form.

But Amanda and Josh find more than the prophecy in Midland—they find a love that transcends every world imaginable.

Chapter 1

The full moon had just cleared the pines when we suspended the search for Danny.
Even without my brother’s disappearing act, it would have been one of those nights. You could feel it in the air, tickling the nape of your neck like a skittish spider.

Because of that, and the fact Danny had pulled an X-Files move, I was in dire need of a cigarette and a shot of something--preferably alcoholic and tequila-flavored.

Never let it be said that I don't take my big sister duties seriously, even though I haven’t been home in over a year. Coming back to the California foothills to find my twenty-year-old brother lost in the woods wasn’t exactly my idea of a welcome home party. Call me bitchy, but I had hoped for something a bit more festive, something that celebrated the fact that I’d finally decided to quit my wandering ways and settle down to a home and business of my own.
Instead, like the good, eager-to-please daughter I’ve become, I trekked off into the boonies, searching for our hometown’s golden boy.

Don’t get me wrong...I love Danny, but we’re two totally different people. I seriously think Mom must have had a thing for the meter reader after I was born. At least that’s the only explanation I’ve been able to come up with.

It was the call from his flavor of the month, Dee Dee Mather, that had really set off Mom. The brainless twit had babbled something into her cell phone about Danny wandering off into the woods and not coming out. At the time I’d been skeptical. Knowing Danny’s taste in women, he was probably out taking a leak and she hadn’t given him enough time to finish.

In retrospect, she’d been right to call us in, since not one person had seen hide nor hair of my little brother since he’d walked away from his truck.

How in the world Danny could have ever become involved with Dee Dee was beyond me.
Oh wait, that’s right, she has enormous knockers. Attributes like Dee Dee’s were usually enough to sway even the most logical male mind.

I wound my way around a thicket of buck brush, swinging my flashlight in front of me like a light saber, wishing I were in a galaxy far, far away. Then I wouldn’t be beating the bushes searching for my hormone-driven, short-on-common-sense brother.

We worked our way back to Danny's pickup as a group, twenty good Christian men and women and me, the heathen. Danny’s fifteen-year-old Dodge looked like it might have any other night, parked on the side of the fire road, the perfect place for an assignation with a Hooters Girl in training. Except Danny had heard a noise he just had to investigate instead of something as simple as hitting the woods to take a leak. It would have been nice if Dee Dee had included that little tidbit when she called my parents.

It might have stopped me from leaving the house bitchy as hell and muttering under my breath about Danny’s paternity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Vincent said...

Congratulations, Teri

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home