Sunday, July 16, 2006

Movie/Music Monday…Disturbed and Pirates

Sorry I wasn't around much last week…I was just in one of those moods that didn’t lend to committing to anything *g*.

Today I wanted to kick off something that I’ll try to maintain each week…a movie/music Monday. I’m a huge music fan, and while I don’t go to movies as much as I used to, I do watch a lot on TV or video.

Sooo, with no further ado…

Music: Disturbed, 10,000 Fists—Now I love alternative music, much to my husband’s dismay (he calls it a bunch of screaming), and a friend loaned me Disturbed’s newest release…damn, it totally rocks. If you listen to an alternative/harder rock radio station, then I can guarantee you’ve heard at least three of these cuts, and yesterday I heard their cover of Genesis’ Land of Confusion on my local station. All in all, great guitar licks, awesome vocals and kick-ass lyrics (especially on Stricken where they say… “You come on like a bloodstained hurricane"…I freakin LOVE that imagery!) Overall Grade: A

Movies: Pirates of the Caribbean 2—We saw this yesterday. Let me preface by saying I absolutely *adored* the first movie…or at least all the parts with Johnny Depp in them. I could care less about Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom, but Capt Jack, oh yeah. Now, having said that, this one was a bit of a disappointment to me. It was at least 45 minutes too long, and each of those moments could have been cut from the plot, at least IMO. The plot was overly convoluted and too touchy-feely for me to do much but fidget until the real action started in the last quarter of the flick. And Davey Jones? Reminded me waaaaaay too much of the aliens in Independence Day. I really dug the end (from where they arrive on the final island) and *that* part had no problem in keeping my attention, because it was what I’d gone to see…swashbuckling action with Johnny Depp’s priceless facial expressions and quips. Overall Grade: B-

5 Comments:

Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

Heh heh, I just mentioned Disturbed Saturday. My daughter and I shared her ipod for Disturbed and Korn. My husband just shook his head and made screaming noises.

Our dudes would bond.

6:09 AM  
Blogger wilddunz said...

I heart Captain Jack Sparrow! But I wouldn't kick Orlando out of bed, either.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Kelli McBride said...

I enjoyed the movie a lot. There are so few swashbucklers around that I simply adore any movie that does it well, and includes such delicious eye candy as Depp and Bloom. I did think the Davey Jones' crew had a little too much ick factor. I am assuming the plot was so complex because this is really setting up the next film. It reminded me in some ways of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (my favorite of the 3 original STAR WARS films). Now, it wasn't as good - man do you remember when you first saw that and how much Darth Vadar scared you? But, it did have that feel of a bridge movie, only done much better than, say, Back to the Future 2. I did like it that they brought back some old faces.

I'd have to give it an A-.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home